Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bedbugs and Ballyhoo

I don't get a whole lot of sleep around here. I've had chronic insomnia for as long as I remember and having kids and cats only adds to the problem. I have tried everything possible from meditation to drug therapy. Drugs seem to work best. Lunesta is my current drug of choice. It helps me fall asleep but I still awaken easily to most noises. For example last night:

I took my Med early so I could be in bed by 11. I work part time evening shift so on those nights my bedtime is 2 am. On my nights off I've been staying awake untill MN. I want to start going to bed earlier to see if I feel less fatigued and more inclined to exercise during the day.
Anyways, I fell asleep quickly in bed aroung 11pm. Suddenly, it seemed, I was talking in my sleep "there are no bedbugs"..."what?" Then I realized I was not dreaming, my daughtor E was standing at my bedside wailing "A BEDBUG BIT ME A BEDBUG BIT ME, IT BURNS, MY EAR BURNS, WAAA!" she cried. E does occaisionally sleeptalk or walk but she was clearly awake at that time. My hus and I jumped (struggled) out of bed. He went upstairs to check her bed, I took her to the bathroom to check her ear. Sure enough there was a red welt on her left ear. "It was a hornet" Hus yelled down to us. Well E wasn't getting back into her bed anytime soon so I let her have mine and I took the couch. It was 1:00am.

The effects of the Lunesta still present, Ifell back to sleep fast. Then I heard my Husband shouting from the bedroom "SON OF A B*TCH, MOTHER F*CKER!", I asked what was wrong, I was scared. He told me that our cat, our sweet, loving, elderly siamese cat Cokee had thrown up all over the bed, even on my husbands feet. Yuck! I felt sorry for him and my daughtor so I helped change the sheet and blankets. It was 2:00am.

It took me a little longer to fall back asleep this time, but I managed. Then a little while later my other cat,
my overweight middle aged cat Arthur, started jumping on and off the couch and running to the front door and back in an attempt to get me to let him out. For cripes sake it was minus 2 outside. I threw a pillow at him an hoped he would give up. No luck. So I got up and let him out. My hus would be up soon for work and could let Arty back in, so I figured he probably wouldn't freeze in that amount of time. It was 3:00AM.
E woke me up at 6:30AM when the alarm woke her up.
I've been drinking a lot of coffee today.
Most nights are not as dramatic as last night. Usually its my son who keeps us up. T talks and cries in his sleep and has the occaisional night terror, and sometimes even falls out of bed. Last night he was the only one who slept queitly and soundly all night. Good for him.

Will I ever get a good nights sleep again?

12 comments:

Denise Thomas said...

You will sleep again! Until then, from one insomniac to another, maybe we should have a sleepover! We could watch TV and curse the sleep gods all night. That's what I usually do!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I have a working copy of the first chapter of my dissertation that appears to cure all insomnia--it has worked on several people. Let me know if you want a copy, and here's to better sleeping SOON!

hellomelissa said...

although i haven't had a night THAT bad in awhile, i can relate with 2 kids, 3 cats and a dog. i suffered chronic insomnia through h.s., college and pregnancy but it's mostly gone now. since surgery i've had the 4 am wake-up kind of insomnia and it's so frustrating! i need to recover!

Andie D. said...

With kids and pets in the house? Hell, if you manage it, you HAVE to let the rest of us know how you did it!

I've had insomnia ever since I can remember too. My shrink prescribed Trazadone - one of the earliest anti-depressants. It really helps & is non-addictive. Enough that I only take 1/2 tab.

But.

But my hub travels for a LIVING and it seems that every time I take one when he is gone I have a night that is a cluster f*ck like the one you had. AAAAAAAAHHHHH!

So I usually just end up drinking wine instead.

Heidi said...

I have been noticing that some bloggers respond to their comments on their comment page. It is a good idea, assuming anybody goes back twice. Here it goes.

Denise-I would love to have a sleepover and curse the sleep gods with you. I have, on really bad nights, even cursed my husband for sleeping so well. If god forbid he would get up to pee at 3 am and I am still awake watching tv I would say something like "well, aren't you special, sleeping like a baby, not a care in the world, aren't you lucky, bite me!" and he just looks at me, knowing better than to respond to my criticism, because I would just pick a fight.

Stefanierj-Whats the dissertation about? Sure, I'll try it.

hellomelissa-I am glad you usually don't have insomnia anymore. Hopefully the 4 am awakenings will go away soon. Have you read Steven Kings Insomnia? I read it a long time ago, its about a person who wakes up earlier and earlier everyday until he doesn't sleep at all. Well, maybe not such a good idea to read it now.

Andie d.-I took Trazadone for a while but then I started having really freaky LSD bad trip like dreams and ringing in my ears so I had to stop. The same side effects happened when I tried Paxil. Now I do Lexapro and Lunesta and havn't noticed any bad side effects yet. Oh and I also drink wine, but usually earlier than at bedtime!

TwinMamaLinda said...

:) Happy Birthday!
Hope you are sleeping like a log tonight ...
See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Just another insomniac weighing in. I've been taking Unisom since time began. Two at a time. If that doesn't work I get up and take a Benadryl.

Heidi said...

Hi just me checking to see what my picture looks like and if it shows up with comments!

Anonymous said...

I slept really well until I had a child. Guess I should be glad I don't also have cats.

Wishing you sweet dreams for tonight!

Anonymous said...

i don't know why blogger won't link to me--www.surcie.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Insomnia has never been an issue for me, but the kids and the cats and my husband that snores and talks and comes and goes at all hours of the night keep me up regardless. I don't think I've had a good, full nights sleep in 6 years.

Here's hoping for some rest for you tonight!

BabyonBored said...

I say, Klonopin and 5 glasses of wine outta do the trick and if not add a few shots of Nyquil. You don't want to take any chances.

Hi HON!