Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Woo Hoo!

Yay, it's the first day of school and I have the next six hours to do as I please! The kids took the bus to school today and then I met them at school. T wanted me to meet him at his kindergarten classroom and I had to drop off some paperwork to the office. I am proud of him taking the bus on the first day, not that many kindergartners will do that. I am also proud of E sitting with him on the bus, without much protesting. Many of the moms were hanging around the room, hesitating to leave their little ones. I almost knocked a few over in my rush to get out! I had enough of this putting the kids first, I want to have my time back.
Also, I am writing now while sitting outside a Vermont Welcome Center, using their free WI FI. Yes, I finally got a laptop. It is "Christmas Gift" from hus. He told me 2 weeks ago, he would get me one for Xmas, so I said "You mean, Xmas in August, right?" Because I want to write now, not wait until December. Little does he know I will count this as a present from last Xmas! Hee hee.
Unfortunately, I still am unable to get high speed Internet service at home. I called Fair Point Communications, who bought out Verizon, to check if my town was on the list to update Internet service and the operator told me that not at least in 2008, and no guarantee for 2009. The company claims they will bring high speed Internet service to "almost" every Vermonter by 2010. I have no other option but to wait. At least with this laptop I can use Wireless at work and some libraries and this welcome center. Too bad I have to leave home though.
I am off to catch up on my blog readings. I can't wait to find out what all of you have been up to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids in school? Check! New laptop? Check! Peace and quiet with free WiFi? Check?

WOO HOO on all fronts!!!

joanna said...

I"m sooo with you on leaving the kid at the door! I have to spend the whole day in class her on Friday but after that I'm outta there!! Congrats on the laptop - I'm completely and utterly addicted to mine.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the laptop! I love your Christmas-in-August rationale.

Barb said...

Free WiFi is awesome!!

One of my SisterDears, the mother of 4, is counting down the days until Sept. 3rd - when the 20 yr old goes back to college, the 17 year old goes back to high school and the 8 yr old twins go back to grammar school. But mostly, for the first time in 20 years, she's returning to the workplace! Serious Happy Dance happening at her house too!

MereCat said...

Ah sweet freedom! I can't wait to have two days a week that I at least have the choice to frequent a coffee shop to do a little more writing. Writing, hell, I mean THINKING!

Anonymous said...

LOL I howled when you almost trampled those kids to get out. I agree it will be nice to have some me time back, enjoy it!! Oh yeah congrats on your lappie, you'll love it.

Anna Sawin said...

Love the photo, and these memories are making me laugh! I wouldn't go back to school days for ANYTHING!