Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturday Sounds 16 or 45's Were the Best

Since as early as I can ever remembering listening to music, my taste has always been eclectic. Of course my all time favorite music will always be Alternative/Punk rock, but I also enjoy some Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, New Wave, Disco, Techno, Electronica, Reggae, Hip Hop, Top 40, Oldies, Torch Songs from the '20's, classical and Big Band music. Phew! I'm sure at this late hour (1am), I am forgetting some. The only music I really can't seem to ever like is Country, Folk, Jazz or Blues, except for the Nick Cave type Alternative Blues. There are so many labels now for music, I can't keep up.

I remember when I was about 7 or 8 years old my parents gave me my own record player and radio. I listened to all kinds of music. Sappy love songs by Bread and Nilson, sweet soft rock melodies by Shawn Cassidy, classic rock songs by Blue Oyster Colt, anything I liked. Do you remember when radio stations would play the same song everyday at the same time? I would turn the radio on everyday at 7pm to listen to BOC's Don't Fear the Reaper. I think I was nine.

My best friends older sister always had the best records. She had hundreds of 45's with the best and most popular songs of the day. Songs like Seasons in the Sun, Billy Don't be a Hero, The Night Chicago Died, All by Myself, Angie Baby and on and on. I used to beg my friend to ask her sister if we could listen to her records. I liked the 45's the best. What's more perfect than being able to just buy the one song you like? Now you have to spend $20 for a CD that might only have one good song on it. I listened to Don't Give Up On Us by David Soul over and over even after it was all scratched up.

In second grade I remember (don't know why I remember this), arguing with my friend Billy over which was a better band Queen or Kiss. I thought Queen. Still do.

The song in this vid was one of my very favorite songs. I thought it was about a girl who drowned and it made me sad to listen to it. It was years later I found out it was about a dog. Hey, I was only 8!

5 comments:

Mike said...

I bet that I could sit down and talk to you for hours about music! The songs that I put on my site are just a little piece of my musical taste. I have a natural draw toward the heavier music. I was into some punk in the 80's, like the Dead Kennedys and the Black Flag, but mostly I was into Sabbath and Iron Maiden and Priest, but at the same time, my favorite song is a Gordon Lightfoot song. I would eject my Venom cassettes and pop in my Gord's Gold! LMAO! I love everything, except rap! Queen was and is one of my all time favs. I have some heavier music on my other site! (Da Jersey Boys)

darsden said...

me too, let's all get together and talk music, I have to have it...it's my crack!

Suzy said...

Oh Lord, knowing it was his dog (?) is very sad. THANKS FOR BRING ME DOWN DUDE.

Wishing 4 One said...

These are a little before my time, as you know I am only 21 (cough cough) but i love most music except for country. Absolutely adore jazz, sorry. Have a great Friday up there girl.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Shannon was a dog. But it's still bittersweet.