Thursday, July 26, 2012

So Why am I so Damn Short?

The social worker told me my file is the smallest she's ever seen. It contains mostly information on my adoptive parents, very little on my birth parents. Even less is the information she can legally give me.

So after 5 years of on and off active searching for my bio family, I finally have a small, very small bit of non-identifying information about my birth parents. In the letter from the social worker...

"Your birth mother was twenty-two years old. She stood five feet, six inches tall and weighed one hundred twenty-three pounds, with fair skin, brown hair and brown eyes. She was a college graduate who had majored in science. Your birth father was also twenty-two years old. He stood five feet, ten inches tall with a medium frame, and had light brown hair, brown eyes, and a medium complexion. He had graduated from college with a major in business administration."

Science? Really? I majored in art, psychology and then nursing and my hobbies are crafting and writing. Also, I always thought at least one of my parents would be short. Most likely I have a tall skinny sister. Bitch. (It doesn't say, but I bet her hair is straight too!)
 There is some good news. The social worker told me that my birth mothers name is in my file. She said "you don't know how bad I wish I could tell it to you." At least now I know continuing to pursue the opening of my sealed record will lead me to a name.

What I plan on doing next is searching lists of college alumni with science majors in 1966-68. A needle in a haystack? Probably. But how many women could there have been in the 60's majoring in science? Also,there is a college near where I was born that has a big science school. Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute or RPI. I've tried to find lists online of alumni, but you have to be an alumnus of the school to search. I plan on calling the school to see if there are lists the public can view.

I'm also going to re-petition the court (first petition denied) for a different reason than the first and have my adoptive parents petition too. If these fail then I'm going to hire an attorney recommended by the Mass Department of Children and Families to help me.

Any suggestions? Anyone know an RPI alumnus?

5 comments:

Barb said...

I am much taller than both of my parents. My mother is 5'7" and my Dad is 5'8". I am 5'11". However, my maternal great grandfather was 6'6" My 5 brothers are all between 6'2" and 6'4". There's more to genes than just you mother and father. Of course, you already know that because you're smarter than the average bear, Boo Boo.

Hang in there!

Barb said...

Sorry. I don't have 5 brothers... that should say 4 brothers. And as long as I am back... 1 sister is 5'6", 1 is 5'7" and the other is 5'8".

The End.

Amy said...

Another thought, One of the local libraries near RPI or at RPI may have copies of yearbooks that you could look for...

Anonymous said...

I know it isn't much, but that little bit of info you got is VERY exciting to me. As ever, I wish you luck in your quest. (not only did your skinny sister get the good hair but I bet she's a mean break dancer, too)

Hilary said...

I find your perspicacity remarkable and I'm thrilled that you've gotten at least some info to work with. What I really worry about most is how you will redirect all the incredible energy you've put into your search once you have your answers...