Monday, June 08, 2009

Cat Whisperer

Recently I discovered that my husband has a talent I didn't know about. We have 2 cats, Cokee, a 16 year old Siamese cat who never had a problem being around humans and Arthur who we rescued as a small kitten from a life on the street. Cokee has always enjoyed the company of humans and demands much attention from us. Arthur would let us pet him and occasionally but rarely would sit on a lap.
For a while Art was spending most of his time up in the loft all by himself. I just thought he didn't want to be around people, so I mostly left him alone, petting him the few times during the day I went up to the loft. Hus told me he was worried about Art,that he didn't think it was good he spent so much time alone. One night last week when I came home from work, I found my kitchen looking like a Petco exploded in it. There were cat toys and treats all over the floor! Hus told me he bought the toys in hopes of luring Arthur downstairs. Art did seem to like the toys but was still spending most days and nights alone.
Hus had a talk with the family. He asked the kids and I to pay more attention to Arthur. He encouraged us to pet Arty when near, call him down from the loft, offer him treats etc. We did what he asked because we do really love Arthur. I was skeptical thinking that he was just the type of cat that liked being a loner (Like me) but I was wrong.
Art started hanging around downstairs more and more. Now he even takes his morning nap with Cokee and I. Rarely we'll find him up in the loft and just by calling his name and petting him he stays with us. Now our whole family is together in the evenings.
Hus said to us one night." You people were going to leave poor Arthur all alone, forever."
"I just thought he liked it that way" I replied.
"He just didn't' know how to relate to people."
How sweet is that?

Before intense therapy...I'm not coming downstairs because you people are crazy!

After...Well, I guess these humans can be nice and this big bed is comfy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story! Thank goodness your husband figured Athur out!

Ziggy Stardust said...

What a nice story, I am so happy for your kitty.

Anne

Michel said...

OMG - your hubby sounds sooo sweet!

PS first crazy pic of kitty is HILARIOUS...I'm sorry, but that shit is just funny!

Suzy said...

God you know I adore you Heidi, but why on EARTH would ANYBODY name an animal a human name?

My sister is babysitting a rescue dog named William tomorrow.
W I L L I A M.

Kate The Great said...

He totally looks happier in the after picture!

Hit 40 said...

I would try this for baggins but...

I think the cat is just afraid of supersperm. The kid is very annoying!!!

alison said...

Awwww, that's such a cute story! And I think Arthur is a fine name for a kitty. He's a handsome cat.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Your husband is a keeper!
What a lucky kitty to finally be understood.