Saturday, September 05, 2009

Saturday Sounds 12 or Time Traveling

I recently read the book The Time Traveler's Wife and I loved it. I think it is the perfect combination of romance, science fiction, drama, humor and sadness and I highly recommend reading it, no matter what your favorite type of book is.

Last week I saw the movie and while I was prepared to be disappointed by it, I was instead pleasantly surprised. Of course it wasn't as good as the book, but it was still an enjoyable film. I really didn't expect to like Eric Bana as the lead, but aside from his unfortunate profile, he's pretty hot, and well, Rachel McAdams, 'nuf said.

One of the things I liked about the book were the references to some of the '80's music I used to, and still do, listen to. I was a little disappointed that the movie didn't really use more of these references.

During one scene in the movie, the lead characters dance to a live band doing a remake of the song featured in the video I'm sharing today.

The band does a remake of a Joy Division song, one of my favorite bands from my punk rock days of the '80's. I started listening to Joy Division in the mid '80's, a few years after the lead singer Ian Curtis committed suicide. They were one of my favorite "Death Rock" (or nowadays referred to as "Goth") bands. The lead singer suffered from major depression and epilepsy for most of his short life. After his death the remaining band members became the more widely known New Wave band New Order.

This song is still played on the radio.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, but I am looking forward to the movie. My "To be read" pile of books is rather high at the moment.

Mike said...

Rachel McAdams(Pant Pant Pant) LOL!

I hated 80's new wave!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite books ever. I've been hesitant to see the movie b/c I was sure it wouldn't measure up. Now I'm thinking I'll see it when it comes out on DVD.

Suzy said...

Who doesn't love Rachel McAdams? I even loved her in Mean Girls.

Paige Lacey said...

OMG. I love that book. I read it YEARS ago. Haven't seen the movie yet, but I will now! :o)

Kathy B! said...

I loved the book and I am almost afraid to see the movie. It seems I'm almost always disappointed when they turn a great book into a movie. Crossing my fingers on this one...