Thursday, November 08, 2007

Fred(erica)

Living out in the country, we tend to have a variety of wildlife visitors on a daily basis. Deer, chipmunks, birds, squirrels, raccoons and skunks etc. Last fall we started to have a regular visits from Fred, a turkey. The kids named him Fred, and it was some days later that my husband pointed out to us that Fred was a girl not a boy turkey. He told me that male turkeys have a large feather which hangs down in front and females don't. Being I am a turkey ignoramus, I didn't argue, but changed her name to Federica. It is unusual to see a turkey all by themselves. Usually they travel in large groups. Fred is always alone and we don't of course have any idea what happened to her group. However, when a group of turkeys shows up at the same time as Fred, she will hide.


Frederica


We love having visits from Fred and other wild animals. My husband doesn't mind that his bird feeders also feed other types of creatures. He did make a joke about Fred though, as it is hunting season......



NOOO! We would never eat Fred!
I have to work the next 3 evenings so I will have to just lurk from work as the computers there have filters on them. Be back soon with my comments.

7 comments:

Family Adventure said...

I feel sorry for poor Fred(erica). All alone and afraid of her own kind. *sniff*

I have to say, when I looked down and saw that picture of the roasted turkey, I thought this would have a much sadder ending!

:)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Fred was a tame turkey that was set free? And now she's wild(er) but doesn't know how to socialize.

Karen MEG said...

Not poor Freddy! I almost thought, but alas, thank goodness it wasn't!
My sister had a boyfriend when she was a teenager, whose family raised rabbits, kids would play with them... then they would eat them.
Cruel, unusual punishment.

Kellan said...

I was wondering the same thing - then I saw the cooked turkey??! Cool to have wild things roaming your yard! We get racoons and skunks and such - a roadrunner every now and then, but no turkeys. Have a good day.

Gina said...

She/he is kinda cute. I never thought I would say that about a turkey.

Kate The Great said...

We had a dead bird once and Samantha named it toast... A turkey would be cool but it would have to be a girl too because that hair thing that hangs down in the front is really weird in a gross way... It looks like part of a horses tail hanging there... I am familiar with all this turkey stuff becasue we saw some when we went to a local farm that has a play area, corn maze and pumpkins... My husbad and I could'nt stop watching the turkeys... they are so weird!

Anonymous said...

i love to read your writing. i agree with the robot and i read your most recent post. thanks for keeping up with me and leaving me messages...although i wasn't so good and didn't get back to you until now. did you guys have fun? so you work this weekend? i will have to come by sometime soon. i do miss you guys....even though i am just next door. i promise to be better at keeping in touch and keeping dates. (i know never make a promise you can't keep)...but i will try. miss your smiling face and cheerful voice. me(asp)