Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Verizon Conspiracy

Monday morning I awoke just like any other morning, and dragged my tired ass out of bed slowly and reluctantly. I made my coffee, fed my children and cats, brushed my teeth and settled myself down in my comfy chair in front of the computer, preparing to write my NaBloPoMo blog for the day. I double clicked on the Dial icon and waited. I wasn't concerned when the first warning pop up appeared to tell me "No dial tone, do you want to redial?". Yes, of course I did, and the same message popped up. WHAT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It must be a mistake. I picked up the phone and tried it. No dial tone. OK, kids must have done something to it, the phone is broken, I will try another. No dial tone anywhere in the house. Next I tried the basement "Customer Interface" connection, because I know Verizon will ask if I had tried this. No dial tone! I am in a bit of a minor panic now, but this has happened before and the problem was fixed within a couple hours so I tried not to let myself get into a full mind twisting panic.
I grabbed my coat and headed out to the car, as there is no cell signal from inside the house. I called Verizon on my TRAC phone, because that is what I have, and I am not talking about that now, and got the usual repair automated answering service. They asked me what the problem was and I said "NA-BLO-PO-MO! And she said "I'm sorry, I did not understand that, could you repeat it?" Yes, "NO-DI-AL-TONE! Ugh! And she said in her sweet as saccharin recorded voice "We can help you with that, we will dispatch a technician at our earliest time, let me check our schedule and, yes, we can send someone out tomorrow between the hours of 8AM and 6PM" My heart sank, I felt defeated, no more NaBloPoMo for mama.
I tried to call my many friends, 2, I knew who would let me use their computers in a pinch but they weren't' home. I also thought of breaking into the local library, as they were closed, but then they might suddenly want all my late fees paid in full immediately if I was caught. I had to go to work in a few hours and I knew the computers there wouldn't let me blog. I was done, I am done. No more daily blogging, no Sock Zombie for mama.
I tried to call home from work that night, thinking that if the line was fixed, I could try to leave work in time to get home before midnight. Again the forces were against me. I returned home at around 1AM and whatdyaknow? DIAL TONE! WTF!
Thanks to everyone who visited me everyday this month and I hope you will still come by and visit my now, back to, once or twice a week blog! Good luck to all of you NaBloPoMo's left out there, I will still visit and support you!

15 comments:

Andie D. said...

Aw CRAP! Grrrrrrrr! Effing dial up.

I am thankful this year that I have high speed internet. I am also extremely thankful that I have a laptop and have found a local coffee shop with free internet access.

Amen.

Suzy said...

Ok, if you miss a day, are you supposed to drop out?

Anonymous said...

hey, i just commented and it wouldn't let me publish it...anyway, i stated not to give up, you inspire more than you know, and that every morning i check to see what you have written. love, me

Anonymous said...

Blogger is having issues...it just erased my giant comment!

Anyway, you don't have to quit! No!

Granny Sue said...

Just change the dates at the bottom of your new posts so that they list as the days you missed. You can cactch up that way. You can write in Word, then copy and paste when your phone is working again.

Anonymous said...

It's not your fault if the universe conspires against you. Keep on going just the same!

Unknown said...

I vote for Keep on Going.

Kellan said...

This was so funny! It was worth the no post yesterday - for the story today!!! See ya.

Anonymous said...

where are you? your audience needs more. you are a wanted writer...remember to be saving these for your book. love, me

Granny said...

I did the blogging marathon last year and my superfast, high speed, Comcast went down.

Rats!!

I had my son (who's listed as a contributor on the blog), write a post just to make the quota.

Granny said...

I forgot to say what granny sue said. Change the dates, throw in a meme or something, and catch back up.

Badness Jones said...

If you want to do an extra post and back date it, we promise we won't tell!!! That sucks big time - I had to post from my mom's one day with dial up and it was so crappy I think you deserve an award for getting this far!

Family Adventure said...

...I'm so sorry! If I'd been here on Wednesday, I would have written back immediately and said that you should just keep going. It wasn't your fault, after all!

It's Friday now, and I see you haven't posted since. Shucks - I was enjoying reading your blog daily.

Heidi

Karen MEG said...

Awwwww.. that sux! YOu were doing so well too! So keep blogging still... I'll be by often!

Anonymous said...

I am so not a marathon blogger. But I admire your effort! And your ability to put up with dial-up!